Friday, December 17, 2010

Another Year Over...

And a new one just begun...

Okay, so I was going to do a post reflecting on the year's accomplishments, but hey, it's Christmas, so I decided to do a more fun-filled tribute to my 'favourite' memories of Christmases past.

Snoopy and Woodstock... who doesn't love those fabulous Charlie Brown cartoons where Snoopy and Woodstock decorate Snoopy's doghouse or a tree...with Snoopy standing on Woodstock's head. And let's not forget the famous, Charlie Brown tree...a true meaning of Christmas.

The Home Alone series...okay, so it's not as touching as Charlie Brown, but nothing says Christmas quite like Kevin getting himself into trouble. I love those two movies and my kids and I watch them ever year.

Finding the perfect tree...this year we managed to select one in less than thirty minutes! Usually we spend over a hour tramping around the tree farm moving from one tree to the next, only to end up back at the first one we'd looked at. But it's time well spent.

Johnny Mathis...isn't it funny how we seem to still listen to the same Christmas carols we grew up on? I never listen to some artists the rest of the year (much more of a Nickelback and Daughty kind of girl) but when it comes to Christmas songs, it's got to be Johnny Mathis, the Carpenters and all those TV classic songs.

Gingerbread cookies...awww the smell of gingerbread baking in the oven. Several years back I was fortunate enough to come across a fabulous recipe that uses honey instead of molasses...these are the best cookies I've ever tasted. No bitter aftertaste and a nice golden colour. Strange how I only ever make them before Christmas, though I'm sure the kids would love to have them throughout the year. But it's just one of those 'traditions' we seem to save for a certain time of the year.

Opening one present of Christmas Eve. This is a tradition my parents did and I've continued. Not sure why it's so special for the kids, but getting to pick one present to open when they're just dying to open them all is a special treat and one I love to watch... unless of course they get the all dreaded 'socks' parcel... yeah, nothing quite kills the moment like a box full of socks...

And finally... how nearly everyone you meet is just a bit nicer this time of year. How the snow is more of a treasure than a burden and how everything just glimmers and shines.

Christmas has always been my favourite holiday. I love seeing the kids get all excited... how decorating a tree and cutting out cookies seems to hold more interest than the xbox. How a simple snowball fight can make your other worries melt away and how a cup of hot chocolate can soothe any soul.

So this is my wish...a very happy holiday to all, no matter what you celebrate or how you do it. May the stars shine just a bit brighter and your heart soar with them.

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night.
Kris

1 comment:

Glynis Peters said...

Dropped by to say, Happy New Year!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin