Thursday, December 17, 2009

Wishes and Resolutions

It's hard to believe it's only eight days until Christmas. I'm still trying to figure out where the time has gone. It's definitely been one of those years where you look back and can't quite remember summer fading into fall. And now, with the winter solstice only a few days away, we're ready to bring in a new year. It seems like the perfect time to reflect.

For me, 2009 has been a year of firsts. My first contract, my first publication, my first website, my first book trailer, my first... well you get the point. In terms of writing, 2009 was a benchmark year. Just last week, my first release with Resplendence came out. Checkmate, a spicy thriller, is now on the electronic bookshelves, and I can't help but feel a bit overwhelmed. After all, at the beginning of this year, it was still just a file sitting on my computer. Now it has a sexy cover page, a dedication and a place on my virtual bookshelf. The only thing better will be when I can hold the print copy in my hand and put the physical book on my real bookshelf. Now don't get me wrong, I read more ebooks than print, but as us authors tend to be a bit... ah shall we say vain... we like having something to accidentally leave on the coffee table when neighbours and in-laws come over to visit. Yeah, there's nothing quite like flaunting a book at an old friend who lovingly called you the "least likely to amount to anything" back in high school.

But I digress. I've learned a lot this year and I look forward to putting much of that into good use next year, as I strive to write more books. And what's a book without a book trailer. Yup, lately I've gotten into making these tasty tidbits on my computer. I'm currently working on Checkmate's one, and had hoped to have it finished for today's post. But other deadlines have me slaving away at the keyboard. I like to use iMovie to make mine. It's a nifty little program from apple that allows you to virtually click and drag your way into a full-fledged movie. With lots of different text options and really cool transitions, it's nothing to take a few images and a great sound clip and turn it into something you're proud to post on youtube... yeah, I'm on youtube, who ever thought.

But I wonder if stuff like that makes a difference. Do readers like watching trailers to get a visual glimpse of a book, or do they shake their head at the lengths we authors go to reach them. I have to admit, I quite enjoy watching them. But I'd love to know what you all think. If you'd like to see any of mine, please hop on over to My Website and have a gander. I'll be sure to post the one for Checkmate once it's finished. But there are a few others you can watch if the feeling strikes you. As for Checkmate, well I wouldn't want to leave you without a small Christmas gift. Here's a warm excerpt to keep you toasty on these cold winter nights...


“Good morning,” he replied, stifling the moan building in his chest. “Sleep well?” he asked, moving his hands back to her arms.

“Better. Thanks to you.”

“You don’t have to thank me, Kendall. Holding you isn’t a sacrifice.”

“Don’t be too sure. Not many people have risen to the challenge.”

“That’s because you don’t give them a chance,” he noted.

She paused, moving her body closer as she replied, “I’m giving you a chance.”

Dawson held his breath. Her tone had changed, and she’d raised her face even with his. His heart raced. If she asked him to make love to her, he wouldn’t be able to refuse. “Kendall…”

She pressed her finger to his lips, silencing him. “Don’t,” she said, bending down to brush her lips against his. “Don’t talk… don’t think… just act.” She moved her finger and slanted her mouth over his.

Dawson felt her tongue sweep into his mouth, tasting, exploring, melding with his before retreating and then probing again. Her pursuit was forceful, but hinted with just a touch of hesitation. The mixture extinguished any reservations holding him back. He tightened his embrace, palming her back as he rolled her over, pressing his weight onto her. Her breasts were firm against his chest, her nipples hard pinpoints that raked across his body. He could feel them through her thin tank, begging him to touch them, devour them with his mouth.

He listened.

In one fluid motion he fisted the hem of her shirt and pulled it over her head, tossing it to the floor. Her skin was pale, like rich cream, and he couldn’t halt his tongue from darting out, teasing her peaked bud. She shuddered beneath him, tightening her grip on his shoulders. He smiled, lowering his mouth to her breast, curling his tongue around her nipple, sipping it into his mouth.

“Oh, Kendall. Your skin is so soft, darling. So damn soft.”

She whispered his name as he caressed her with his hands, suckling her other nipple, laving it with his tongue. Her chest was rising and falling against his lips, her head thrown back against the pillow. She was panting, digging her nails into his back, moaning at every flick of his tongue as he teased each nipple until she cried out in protest, straining her hips against his thigh. He could feel the soft brush of silk against his leg, the only scrap of clothing she still had on. It was smooth, like her skin, but damp with the essence of her arousal. He groaned, remembering how sweet she tasted in his dream. Dammit, if he wasn’t going to drink every drop of honey from between her legs.



Thanks for stopping by. I wish everyone a safe and spicy Holiday Season. I'll see you all in the new year.
Kris
Romancing life...one adventure at a time.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin